Thursday, May 6, 2010

Stress eating or the lack there of?

I write on this blog every single day.... in my head. ha ha It's so crazy busy of late, so I'm thinking maybe it's going to be this way for good now. My teenaged daughter is taking driving classes. ugh So it begins! The beginning of the end. My life should be chaos from here on out. LOL
Now some of you know I live in the Nashville area, about 25 mins south of it actually. This past weekend we had unprecedented rains. The flooding all around us was mind boggling. Saturday was SO stressful, water rising everywhere, tornado's touching down in our town, and my daughter off doing volunteer bible education work and caught in the middle of everything. Even the path of one of the possible tornado's.
It was a really long day, as the water rose I looked for my chance to get across our small town and get her back home. To no avail! the roads were all submerged and I couldn't even make the normally 10 min drive to retrieve her. I did manage to get her the next day in between down pours. She was exhausted, and so was I.
Here are photo's of our subdivision's park area. It became a raging river for two days.
The waters came perilously close to a few houses in our neighborhood, thank goodness the builders followed codes for the 100 year flood plain the city demanded. We are farther up the road and a big hill so we were not threatened.
The thing is though how did this affect my eating. I mean I had just posted the previous day how this Vegan life was becoming the norm?
I found myself in some old habits. The too stressed to eat, then too starving to eat right pattern. Not good, turns out I can have a few potato chips (natural ones), and a bowl of coconut milk ice cream and ignore my need for a real meal as a Vegan as well as any other way of eating. Not good! I found myself numbed out from hunger, then eating 'junk' (even though way less junky than what I use to have for junk)... still the pattern was all to familiar! Not exactly a healthy way to deal with stress.
Now we were glued to the news for 2 days straight, had the kids and dogs in the closet for hours at a time for the tornado's, watching the water rise and people being swept away off the roads recorded by traffic cameras and watched live as even our shocked and awed news casters were reporting things they'd never seen before either. Not being able to get my daughter safe at home with us.
Maybe most people wouldn't be able to focus on making a well balanced Vegan meal? I don't know I just know I need to hold myself to a higher standard.
Anyhow, when I did get her home and the rains came back in full force and the water again rose all around us. I had a daughter in desperate need of a 'real' meal. This was what I needed the motivation to care for her to help snap me out of not caring for myself.
The new comfort food!
I took what we had and I made us stuffed full of goodness burrito's. Man we both ate like we were starving. lol It was SO good, so much more comforting and calming than potato chips and ice cream! How we ever convince ourselves that junk food is love and comfort? It boggles my mind, especially because I consider myself a decently intelligent person. My daughter and I both felt the calm of the healthy meal come over us, it really is amazing that connection that was lost and we have found.... comfort food, healthful eating.
It just got me thinking about all these things again, pondering this askew relationship so many of us have with food. This experience helped me snap out of it fast, and well too think about it for real and know I can't do this to myself when I stressed anymore.
This is what real comfort food looks like, END of story!

No comments:

Post a Comment