Friday, April 30, 2010

Becoming the norm

So far I really think considering that I dropped everything and become a full fledged Vegan one day, I'm doing very well. It's too early and I've had too little sleep the past two nights to remember everything I've had the past 3 days, but I think the constant menu blog may become a little boring anyhow. ;-)

I'm finding that when I'm having to find options out I've now got my 'go to' places picked out. This is a big help! I hope to find other places that also have viable options over time.

Since I've been going hectic w/o a schedule that makes any sense. I find I've missed having that hour in the AM, the quiet one where I'm boiling water for my Miso, have my grains simmering into a thick warm yum, with steam rising through the holes in my steamer making my greens tender and hot. It's a new joy for me, gives me a sense of control and peace in the morning to get it off to solid healthy start. No I can't always manage it, but the fact that I miss it when that's the case, and that I am enjoying the cooking so much when I can! Remember just a little while ago I thought I'd never have time for this!? I thought this is so much work can I really do this and it be practical? Also I laugh at how I never thought soup and greens would be a tasty breakfast and now I crave it!

I set my mind to make this a life change, telling myself "I am a Vegan" one day and believing it. Funny thing was I didn't question myself, I just did it. Now though with proof, a little time, and success... I am becoming a very good 'Vegan'. I thought I would miss so many things! So many foods I totally do not even think about? It's so surprising, especially when I never thought I'd be a person who could live w/o steak.

I've found two weaknesses, cheese dip when we are out at Pancho's (I confess if my son is with me who lives on it I will dip a chip or two). Two an occasional coke when my body is so whacked out I relapse into a life time addiction to the beverage. I think the coke will resolve itself after my body has become more detoxed. I make the commitment to myself when I do slip up that I am banished from having one two days in a row no matter what! I've been having a few dizzy episodes lately, and my girl hormones are a bit messed up. To be expected from what I've read, my body has years and years of detox to catch up on.

So I'm here now though this place between new to me and the new norm, and I'm finding myself easily slipping into this is my new norm. I have all new cravings, new snacks, new rewards, and new loves. I know which foods I really need some days even. I plan left overs in my head, and grocery lists are on my mind. Today is a pay day and I so look forward to finding what fresh greens are available this week!

So here are a few pic's. I've had some good mornings of late and early peaceful cooking is my new love. Who would have guessed. lol
Miso soup and steamed collard greens. (above)
Polenta/Millet porridge with toasted ground pumpkin seeds.
This is a mix of lentals and beans, and a mix of wild, sweet, brown and other lovely grains and rice, with a side of kale chips. Just a nice varity for the benefit of many nutrients. I put Flax Oil and Umboshi Vinegar mix over beans and rice for extra flavor and my Omega's.

2 comments:

  1. I have recently gone vegan (10 days ago). I was already a vegetarian and was trying to eat more vegan-like anyway so it's not like it was a huge shift. But in becoming a vegan (again, i should say, as I tried it once before), I feel so much better and have been craving the healthier foods--whole grains, greens, beans! I allow myself the occasional vegan treat but for the most part, have cut the junk out. I am really loving Alicia's book. Tonight I had quinoa with roasted chickpeas and steamed swiss chard with ume vinegarette and gomasio. YUM! it was a healthy version of salt and vinegar chips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marisa,... that's great. Every time we go to eat out I think, man it would be easier to find something if we were only vegetarians! lol Vegan is definitely more of a commitment. Yet, I'm with you I feel MUCH better, and the flavors Alicia and taught me about are SO good. :-)

    ReplyDelete