Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tuesday night, so far so good

I know I'm behind on the pictures, so I'm going to make up for a few meals tonight. There are a few things we've had that I've not kept track of, as I flip through the book for page #'s to match my pictures I am reminded of them. Miranda cooked the dinner on page 221, while I was taking care of my sister and her broken rib (while pregnant days). I had the left overs and it was very good, she said it's even better fresh. Yum, but no photo. I also love Quinoa with Basile and Pine Nuts, page 224.Page 226 I had as left overs from my daughters cooking night, also very good. Love the easy parts too. Gomashio! So good! page 232, I am sprinkling it here and there now and it's wonderful, funny thing it looks sorta like black pepper so maybe if someone is a big fan maybe it will at least appeal to their visual need for black pepper. ??
OK so something I do have a photo of, I made my own version of Alicia's Magical Healing soup on page 251, back on the 25th of March and never posted pics. I added vegan veggie broth and other taste enhancers. I just found it was too bland, and needed to add some punch. I also looked up online about these strange giant green onion thingy called Leeks. You might enjoy the info as well: http://www.ehow.com/video_2261383_preparing-cook-leeks-vegetables-recipe.html  There are two short videos and both are helpful, especially when he shows you how to cut it open to keep it in one piece but be able to wash out the deep dirt inside. VERY helpful!
OK so here is a photo of all the veggies I chopped up to go into the soup, and the final out come.
It was very 'healing', I loved it and it was even better the 2nd day with a little deeper flavor.
One of my other new favorite foods are Azuki Beans!! I love them, and love to have some with Quinoa and sautee' zucchini as left overs for lunch. I think I showed you pictures of that when I made it at my sisters house.
But here is a different image,
This is from the first time I made them Page 241, using carrots as I was out of squash. My husband loved this dinner, it reminded him of Red Beans and Rice (he grew up in Louisiana).
The meal below was Monday nights dinner. I have been super busy of late, trying to play catch up plus working again now that the weather is wonderful. So Miranda gets credit for this dinner. It's Fruity French Lentils Page 245, side note my son who hates beans enjoyed this dish and ate all I put on his plate. It was like a miracle! This is a child who will throw up on the spot if something is detestable to him, so for him to eat Lentils?? Who knew! ha ha Just goes to show you never know until you try something new. The soup in the cup is Squash soup page 253, we put in a little Kuzu Root Starch to thicken it up, less than a tsp, then a side of sweet rice plain. 

So this morning I was up early, neighbors dog barking at 5AM. grrrr. I finished getting my messy kitchen caught up, (when I'm working and busy it gets insane fast). I made millet squash porridge and miso soup for breakfast. For lunch we had left overs, Azuki beans and fresh squash, sweet rice on the side.
Dinner I made something new, and I've GOT to start reading these recipes through to the end before I get half way through them. ha But that's another story.
Anyhow, tonight my daughter had friends over, and so I was hoping this meal would be friendly to their taste buds. I made Thin Mushroom "Pizzas" on page 220. Now the girls are going to kill me, but they posed so fair game right? lol They really enjoyed it! I did too, I LOVE this pizza and I needed a substitute I could 'go to' when I had a craving for the bad kind. I'm really excited as I love mushrooms and this really was very satisfying. I think anyone would enjoy this and it's SuperHero amazing. :-)

So I'll end this very long post with two happy Vegan Lab Rats. I feel really proud I've fed 4 friends total now, from Grandma to Teens and everything I've made was enjoyed and met with surprise and relief. ;-) I'm doing a little magic of my own planting seeds for more future Vegans. tee hee

Oh one final note, since I bought my groceries and have my kitchen caught up, even with a hectic schedule I've remained SuperHero at all meals since the slip up on shopping day. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I must admit the work involved and my family's refusal to try has me from going for it BUT YOUR PICTURES MAKE IT LOOK ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!!

    ReplyDelete