Friday, March 19, 2010

Things I've learned so far

I might need more cooking tools than Emeril Lagasse. ha ha I've been using every cooking utensil I have and washing things 3 times a day. This is because the recipes are detailed. I realize though that not every meal need be so complicated. I am having a very good time though, it's like cooking school right now. My daughter and I are working together several times a day and it feels wonderful.
I have found out that the way she says you feel calm from plants as food, is true. It's almost cellular level? My husband said last night after dinner, how he was completely full, satisfied, yet he missed the addictive sedation of the foods that we are use to. He admitted to missing it, but acknowledged he felt better. He hadn't read the book, so this is just him listening to his body. I feel it too! I'm going to bed at night with this odd calm. It's so different than the sedated drugged feeling when you've had heavy toxic foods that numb you out. It's more peaceful. I'm sleeping all night, partly due to the good calm and partly due to my being exhausted from all this cooking! ha ha Still I'm amazed four days in how much different I can feel, and that he felt it too eating only a few things.
This morning my middle child, he was standing in the pantry reading his cereal box label! I was so excited. He informed me that one of his cereals was sweetened with corn syrup. He says I know it's not high fructose, but still not good enough stop buying me this one. :-) He's 12. How great is that!?
For me I've also learned how to tell a Parsnip from a Daikon. I've learned I can do this, and it makes me happy on several levels. I've learned cooking with my daughter is one of the most wonderful parts of my day. I've learned I can lead my family down a path gently yet firmly and they will follow. I have for years given up control over our family meals due to pressures of picky eaters, whining, and begging for what they wanted. I didn't realize I was giving up something a mother should never let go of, and that is what comes out of her kitchen to feed her family.
I'm amazed at the empowerment I've gained from a simple book by a sweet actress, filled with real food recipes can make such an impact on an average American family.

No comments:

Post a Comment