Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday night

I've been a bit busy. I've taken pictures, so they'll be catch up images later. All three of my kids are sick right now, and this morning I woke up with a sore throat and running nose. So doc says it's allergies, and well Spring is here. April is usually my worst month for seasonal allergies.
At any rate, I won hockey tickets on Thursday, for that same night. I was out running around most of the day, but I managed to do pretty well. I had left overs for breakfast, and made my own take on Alicia's Miracle soup. Which was wonderful, and helped everyone feel better. Then for dinner ate out with my husband. I decided I needed one vice/treat in all of this, something I didn't give up, but that I knew would be a limited treat. That one thing is my love of fried oysters. So we ate out at our favorite Cajun place in Cool Springs. I indulged in a simple plate of fried oysters and curly fries. I didn't eat very many fries though.
Where I found my temptation though was at the hockey game. So much snack food everywhere. I did not cave though. I looked around and observed that most of the people eating at the game were not looking very healthy, and the healthy people were not eating. I let that keep me on track.
When I got home my daughter was pretty sick, so I went out to our 24 hour Kroger and got her some night time medicine. Yes, the Krispy Kreme donuts were trying to call to me. Instead I went to the organic isle and bought some nondairy ice cream options. Two small containers one chocolate one carrot cake. I bought some more green organics in produce, some bread the best least ingredient fresh they had. Not perfect but decent.
Came home, and let myself have a little ice cream and slice of bread with Tahini. A reward for avoiding the cotton candy and things at the game.
Today I woke up sick allergies or cold? Anyhow, I indulged in lazy behavior and had 3 slices of toast with barley tea, from 9AM to2PM, instead of actually making myself something good. I was tired, and nauseated, and took the easy road. Not proud of myself.
So after that I heated up our left over soup, and ate a nice hot bowl and all the veggies. Which of course actually made me feel good. I also put a bowl of Asuka beans to soak for dinner. I made beans with carrots (because I was out of squash that did not go bad but was actually all eaten whoop whoop! ;-) . ), and pot of Quinoa, which I added fresh basil and pine nuts too. Made a big green 'complicated' salad. My husband ate it up! I was so happy, then we realized it's not that different from red beans and rice. Having grown up in Louisiana a favorite of his anyhow. :-) Sweet.
Oh and complicate salad, is the opposite of a 'simple' green salad. ha ha Meaning I'm putting LOTS of fun veggies, and add ins into my salads these days. Even tossed on some shelled hemp seeds for good measure.
So I feel pretty OK, as I had a veggie filled soup and well balanced dinner. We also spend the evening watching Jamie Oliver try to take back America's school lunch's. Go Jamie! Food revolution! (which got my youngest to actually eat some of the dinner I made tee hee).
I'm going to forgive myself for indulging in too much bread today. I have to say it was far better than my previous life of things I indulged in. I am back on track though. I wanted to be accountable to my blog, be honest about how this really goes. When I ate my dinner tonight made with all single ingrediant foods, I felt really good about it. I felt really good I had made a simple basic great tasting meal for myself and my family, and didn't let my morning mess up side track me any longer. ;-)
I'm very happy I've got two dinners down I know my husband enjoyed enough for 2nds. My daughter is eating everything, even when she doesn't like it best. My boys are still picking at their food. Middle son ate all my soup though! AMAZING because he hates veggies the most. ha! So you never know where the small victories will come in. ;-)
OK I MUST get some sleep. I promise more photo's less chatter next post. good night

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog and seeing your pictures. I am on the same path as you and it is comforting to know that someone out there is cutting, prepping, cooking and cleaning just like me. Keep posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great to know! Yeah if blogging and chopping helps someone else keep on the path hooray! congrats.

    ReplyDelete