Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Guest for lunch

Today I had invited a singular guest over for lunch. I just wanted to have a relaxing, beautiful meal with a good friend. It's a wonderful spring day, opened all the windows, and cooked for an hour. I made the 2nd version of the recipe on page 238, and I threw in some black beans I had left over to insure we had some nice protein in our meal. I made a fresh pot of miso soup, a side of steamed asparagus with buttery spread (vegan) a little fresh lemon juice. I also added in a slice of whole grain bread with Tahini spread lightly. For dessert we had left over plum soup, page 280. BTW Plum soup is to die for, had it for the first time last night, and my whole family loved it. It was so good and comforting on our cold evening, the perfect dessert!

Oh and yesterday, we had left over Alice porridge, steamed bok choy with olive oil and umboshi plum vinegar. For lunch we had Mexican out, we order the vegetarian fajitas's, but had them leave off the sour cream, waa laa vegan. lol Dinner ended up being some left overs, I wasn't very hungry and neither was Miranda. We had been out all day, two doctors visits, and needed to do some shopping. So we were too tired for cooking fresh. I did repurpose though her Polenta dinner from the other night (page 222). I took a pan and put a light amount of Safflower oil, and just took squares of the Polenta casserole and fried them slightly. It was really better the 2nd go around!

I will confess though, I got a hormone driven migraine yesterday. Since I was out and had no way to vegan relieve it, I got a coke from Sonic drive thru and took two Excedrin. It did what I needed to, kept me functional, but it also kept me up til 3AM this morning. So I'm still off kilter from that. I get these once a month, but had not prepared myself with a natural option. I won't be caught off guard by one again. ugh At any rate, my first junk food that soda since I started.

OK back to the BEST part, food PHOTO's! lol

Here is the Plum soup. I added more apple juice than it called for, maybe my plums were bigger than she imagined in the recipe, seems to me it's just about right. So I think use your own good judgement on how much apple juice based on the size of your plums. ;-)
This is steamed butter nut squash, ready for mashing, on the other side of the pan, onions, garlic, shitake mushrooms, black beans. All what I then added to the pasta. My take on the recipe I made for lunch today. It was delicious.
Today's lunch.It was so delicious and my Vegan fearful guest ate everything I gave her and loved it! I followed up this with Plum soup dessert. I gave her the fine food restaurant  experience. Oh and made her Barley tea sweetened with Maple sugar (expensive to sweeten but oh so good).
Now to finish up all the dirty dishes. lol

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! It *seems* like such a tremendous effort (i'm lazy when it comes to cooking something good now that i have a kid). I hope you can keep it up and see results. Btw - I have borrowed my moms t-tapp dvd - great workout you HAVE to try. lets get together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to check my comments more often! I honestly do not think I could have done this when my kids were babies. It's so much more work. I'm getting use to it though, and finding some ways to manage it better.
    Yes we so need to get together. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete